– Performed by Android Team, October 2021
We want to help effective communication between users in the Wikipedia Android app to improve Wikipedia. Our goal is to create a simple and better communication interface to lower barriers for working with other Wikipedians and increase confidence while improving the wikis. Survey links: English, Arabic, French, Hindi, Indonesian, Japanese. More details on Phabricator: T292111, T292113.
1. When do you want to communicate with other users on Wikipedia? In what kind of situations? Please select one or multiple answers below.
💡 Responses: EN 24, JA 5, ID 4, AR 3, FR 1
- Observation: when improving an article, people communicate the most on Wikipedia (RS)
- Talk pages are understood as an editing tool (JT)
- Create better and distinct onboarding to article and user talk pages (RS)
- Improve clarity when receiving a revert (RS)
- Make it easy to seek for assistance if not clear (RS)
- Design for these main tasks e.g. in the community tab (RS)
- Improve communication flows (reverts, diff view improvements and user talk page communication, starting from Watchlist) (JT)
- Make sure users are pinged when replying (RS)
- Make sure to provide context when discussing articles (RS)
- Suggested replies to make communicating easier (RS)
- Think about “Positive reinforcement mechanisms ”re: when noticing helpful edits” (JT, RS)
- Focus on 'Thanks' interaction as it’s considered important
- Social features: Ping other users re “invite other users to discussions” (RS, JT)
2. Describe how you got to the point of communicating in one or multiple of the situations above.
💡 Responses: EN 14, JA 1, ID 2, AR 2
- Improve user talk page communication (1:1) and making sure we educate new folks that it’s public (JT, RS)